Thursday, January 25, 2007

january 084
This is not the clearest picture in the world, but I wanted to show you the squashes I roasted for soup yesterday since I don't know what kind they are. I can't say the results were better than my standby butternut treatment but it is even healthier and I was getting really sick of that other one. This time I roasted the girls like normal (for an hour in a 400 oven with a little butter to caramelize like Alton Brown says), then I drowned the innards in a bunch of homemade chicken stock, tons of dried thyme (thanks Grandma!), and the juice of one lemon to brighten up the squash, plus salt and pepper. Once that was heated through I pureed it then tossed in a half cup of quinoa for protein and so it will stick to my tummy for lunches. I can't say this is the best soup I've ever made but it is quick, easy, nutritious, and actually really good at work the next day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that those are acorn squashes - they look just like the ones that I used to make the soup. I find them a little sweeter than the butternuts, and also not quite so sweet as the pumpkins. Just right. They are also excellent in pumpkin bar recipes. I'm supposed to be working now, but your blog is much more interesting.

--Liz